Drata is a compliance and security automation platform. It streamlines compliance workflows to assure audit readiness by automatically gathering evidence of an organization’s security controls.
Drata helps organizations get compliant with security and privacy standards like SOC 2, ISO 27001, PCI DSS, HIPAA, GDPR, CCPA, etc.
Drata integrates with your tech stack to reduce the manual system checks to provide evidence to auditors.
Though, it is an excellent compliance automation tool, it is not the best fit for everyone. Drata has some drawbacks, like charging separately for some essential modules, for instance, the Trust Center module.
There are many other compliance and security automation platforms that may satisfy your requirements better.
If you are looking for a compliance automation solution, this list of the 9 best Drata alternatives will help you find the best solution for your requirements.
Drawbacks of Drata
- Includes manual processes for evidence collection – A good amount of evidence still needs to be collected and uploaded on the platform manually. For instance, Drata does not automatically check for the presence of a log collection system, a requirement for SOC 2. Therefore, the users are required to provide screenshots of the program to demonstrate that it is in operation.
- Trust Center requires you to pay an additional price – Although Trust Center is a great feature, it is sold as an add-on feature; so you need to pay for it separately.
- Size limit for evidence – There is a 25MB file size restriction for any evidence you upload to Drata. You must contact the Drata support staff whenever you need to upload a larger file. This could be problematic for some users.
- No inline policy editor – Custom policies must be developed outside of Drata and uploaded to the platform. Once uploaded, you cannot edit them directly on the platform. Thus any changes call for offline editing and a new upload.
Now, let’s discuss the best 9 Drata alternatives.
Scrut Automation is a risk-first governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) platform. With Scrut, you can say goodbye to the tedious process of manually getting compliant.
Scrut saves approximately 70% of the effort required to comply with over 20 frameworks, like SOC 2, HIPAA, PCI DSS, ISO 27001, GDPR, CCPA, HITRUST, ISO 27017, ISO 27018, ISO 27701, ISO 9001, PIPEDA, etc.
Scrut Automation puts your InfoSec compliance on auto-pilot. Scrut heavy lifts most of the compliance tasks, like cloud evidence collection, automatically checking against 150+ controls on a daily basis, risk management, etc.
Check a few of our customer reviews below:
Benefits unique to Scrut
Scrut offers the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) and the fastest time to value. We bring compliance to you with our single-window GRC platform. It handles everything from asset tracking and audit management to streamlined workflows in one place.
- You don’t have to find external auditors/CPAs to conduct audits. Just work with any auditor in Scrut’s partner network at pre-negotiated rates.
- You no longer need to work with external consultants for penetration testing. Work with our network of testers for a seamless experience.
Scrut’s structured customer success program ensures implementation happens in a ‘lowest-touch’ manner in the industry, as the programs are made by our highly experienced InfoSec experts.
Scrut is a faster, easier, and smarter path to compliance. It takes the mystery out of preparing and maintaining certifications.
- Scrut allows you to track all compliance activities in one place. Since there is a good overlap between many frameworks, you can work on multiple security and compliance frameworks simultaneously. For example, SOC 2 and ISO 27001 overlap close to 80%.
With Scrut, you can track multiple compliances at once.
This simplifies the whole process and helps you get compliant quickly. With Scrut, you get a unified, real-time view of risks and compliance, providing the insights required to make strategic decisions and keep your organization secure and compliant.
- Save time with pre-built policies: Building policies from scratch is time-consuming when starting your compliance journey. With our pre-built policies, you can save 90% of the time you would have wasted the manual way.
- These policies have been designed in collaboration with InfoSec experts and lead auditors (people who audit companies). With such a strong foundation, you can quickly move ahead.
You can also upload custom policies.
Pre-built Policies Templates
Furthermore, you can edit these policies with an inline editor to make them specific and updated according to your organizational requirements.
These policies are mapped to different compliance frameworks for your understanding.
- Automate evidence collection: Evidence collection is a tedious, repetitive, and frustrating process that nobody wants to do but you can’t do away with.
Scrut simplifies the overheads of compliances by automatically collecting the evidence you’ll need, making readiness assessments 10x faster. It automates most of the evidence-collection tasks for you, with integrations across your cloud service providers, identity providers, HRMS, etc.
Otherwise, you would be required to spend countless hours taking screenshots and managing multiple folders in Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.
Earlier, one of our customers was keeping the evidence in Google Drive in various folders and was losing track of the versions. With Scrut, that problem was immediately solved.
- Automate cloud security monitoring: The most significant benefit of using Scrut Automation is that it doesn’t just help you get compliant but helps you stay compliant.
Today, changes in the cloud environment take place at a rapid pace. Unless you monitor your cloud continuously, you can never be confident of your security and compliance posture.
For example, your developers may launch new EC2 instances that don’t comply with your security policies or have unencrypted S3 buckets in your AWS account.
Scrut doesn’t just alert you of these misconfigurations and other security issues in your cloud. It also helps you prioritize which ones to fix first with status categories (danger, warning, and low).
Another unique benefit our customers gain with Scurt is that we are not limited to basic controls required to comply with popular frameworks. Our cloud security monitoring goes much deeper. We scan over 150+ controls across all your cloud environments as per the CIS benchmarks.
Whenever there are any issues in your cloud environment, you get real-time notifications (email, Slack, etc.). Further, you get tools and guidance within the platform that help you quickly remediate the issues.
Moreover, you can ensure accountability for fixing these by assigning ownership to different individuals for every task. This makes you secure in the true sense.
When you are secure all the time, you have security assurance, which means getting and staying compliant is a byproduct of your high-security standards.
Hence, Scrut ensures that no security gaps are found during your audit process.
- Automate employee training: With Scrut, you don’t need to worry about training hundreds of employees. You can automate the security training for employees directly on the platform.
Scrut comes with short courses for employee information security training. This makes employees aware of potential security risks and helps them avoid making those mistakes, for example, clicking on phishing emails.
Made by industry experts
As you onboard an employee, they get an email asking them to sign on to their training platform.
After they log in, they see a dashboard like this with all the policies.
They can go through each policy and acknowledge it.
As an admin, you’re always aware about the overall aspects of employees training programs.
Finally, you don’t need to worry if they have actually understood the policies or not.
Quizzes help you assess that they have not just gone through the policies but the information is retained with them.
You can configure minimum score thresholds that employees need to achieve to pass the quiz. Otherwise, they need to go through the policies again and take the quizzes till they cross the threshold score.
See below the score of an employee who first failed (score 3), then gone through the training and finally passed (score 12).
You always have visibility into the status of your security training.
You can send reminders to those employees who have not completed the training.
Further, you can take a quiz to make sure that employees have not just read through the policies but understood them too.
Our UI is so simple that there is almost zero learning curve. Your employees can just sign up and start the training.
- Mitigate cybersecurity risks and stay ahead of threat: Scrut Risk Management provides you with actionable insights in the context of your business processes to help you effectively identify, assess, and mitigate IT and cyber risks.
Build your own contextualized risk register from Scrut’s pre-mapped risks, create custom risks, and assign owners.
You also have the visibility needed to stay ahead of threats and communicate the impact of risk on high-priority business initiatives.
Unlock automation with pre-mapped controls to risks.
Moreover, Scrut Risk Management automatically rescores risks based on changes in related objects such as controls, threats, and vendors. It updates residual risk scores and your overall risk posture.
We assist you to stay ahead of threats with continuous real-time risk score updates.
- Vendor risk management: Staying compliant is not just about your own security measures. Since you would be sharing sensitive data with your vendors, it is also mandatory to make sure that your vendors are also secure.
Scrut enables you to create a faster, efficient, and effective way to assess, monitor, and manage your vendor risks. With Scrut vendor risk management, you get actionable insights into how your vendors are performing and whether their security postures align with your compliance requirements or not.
Scrut allows you to test your vendors to see if they are compliant with the information security standards that your organization requires them to be compliant with. It eliminates the hassle of performing audits and conducting security questionnaires through the power of automation.
You can send security questionnaires, track and collect responses, and identify deviations directly from the platform. Upload your own security questionnaire or use our pre-built templates after onboarding to the console successfully.
- Audit process: Not only your audit preparations, but you can also semi-automate your audit process with your CPA via Scrut. Our smartGRC platform enables effective collaboration with your auditors.
Coordinating and completing audits is more straightforward when all relevant policies, procedures, controls, and evidence are kept in one place.
You and your auditor can communicate directly within our platform, preventing needless delays and frustration. You can just invite them to your Scrut account.
Give access to auditors
When giving access to relevant stakeholders, you’re in control. You can grant audit project access only to those that need it.
Scrut doesn’t make life easier just for you, but for your auditor too! They can check your policies, associated controls, and evidence pieces, and quickly finish the audit—and if they need any clarifications, they can ask directly within the product. This reduces the audit timing from a week to a few hours.
- Support: When it comes to compliance, you may need expert support at any point in time. Our infosec experts, comprised of people from the big 4 firms (EY, Deloitte, PwC, and KPMG), are available round the clock with you from beginning to end till your compliance journey–and even after that.
- G2: 5/5
2. Tugboat Logic
Tugboat Logic is a security assurance platform that eliminates the pain and mystery associated with the security and compliance process. The platform identifies which policies are most appropriate for your company and recommends the pre-defined documents and controls required to be secure and compliant.
It allows users to quickly achieve compliance and efficiently manage all frameworks by cross-referencing evidence to maximize efficiency and effectiveness.
- It helps to prepare and maintain ISO 27001, SOC 2, and other security and privacy frameworks.
- Tugboat Logic has a pre-built policy library of over 40 policies to assist users in quickly developing a credible InfoSec policy.
- Users can repurpose previously answered queries with the help of Tugboat’s machine learning suggested responses.
- Provides the necessary outline actions to become compliant with frameworks, like SOC 2, GDPR, ISO 27001, etc.
- The platform streamlines the auditing process and makes working with auditors easy.
- Tugboat lacks a feature to send individual reminders with the tasks each member of the SOC 2 team still needs to finish.
- It requires significant manual effort to unlink related rules and procedures, duplicating where necessary, and mapping them to the appropriate readiness.
- G2 – 4.6/5
- Capterra – 4.6/5
Reciprocity platform serves as a single platform for all of compliance, audit, risk, governance, and policy management applications.
It offers real-time risk insights directly connected to business priorities. The platform helps you to take smart and informed decisions by showing direct impacts of high-priority business initiatives.
- By connecting risk to business strategy, reciprocity allows users to become more strategically smart.
- Users can speed up compliance programs with Reciprocity ZenComply and track how they affect risk posture.
- You can reduce your company’s exposure to risk by using Reciprocity ZenRisk to receive contextual information about risk posture.
- You can become more strategic with the Reciprocity ROAR Platform by being able to observe, comprehend, and respond to IT and cyber risks.
- The platform is simple and offers much flexibility for adding unique attributes to different kinds of data.
- Manage the entire audit cycle from beginning to end, including automating a request to gather evidence at certain intervals and concluding them with validation.
- ZenGRC does not impose restrictions based on modules, allowing all modules to be implemented in the manners that are most effective for the company.
- There is no option to display the project’s due date.
- It does not automatically update the subtasks when a user changes the parent task’s owner.
- Complex dashboard creation has more restrictions and is less apparent than other toolkit features.
- G2 – 4.4/5
- Capterra – 4.4/5
JupiterOne makes security accessible to all people and organizations. The platform is securing an open, accessible, and more visible future while providing cybersecurity experts with the tools they need to protect their digital environments. With JupiterOne, users can quickly locate, map, examine, and secure cyber assets and minimize their attack surface.
- JupiterOne automatically gathers and maintains relationship and asset data, providing more significant security insights and immediate query answers.
- JupiterOne gathers more asset data than any other source.
- The platform collects data from SaaS apps, CSPs, code repositories, vulnerability reports, IAM policies, security controls, and other sources in addition to endpoints, IP addresses, users, and devices.
- With JupiterOne, users can reduce cyber attack surface.
- Provides easy and painless onboarding
- Provides continuous instrumentation and monitoring of cloud environments and controls
- The platform offers automated reporting and evidence collection for compliance
- It could be a little confusing at first due to overwhelming features
- Takes some time to understand all the security measures the platform takes on a user’s behalf.
- Fails to pull many desirable data from some SaaS integrations
- G2 – 5/5
- Capterra – 5/5
Vanta is a security and compliance automation platform. The platform assists businesses in scaling security procedures and automating compliance with the most demanding standards in the sector, including SOC 2, ISO 27001, PCI DSS, GDPR, HIPAA, and CCPA.
- Vanta automates up to 90% of the effort necessary for security audits. The platform avoids the hassles and time-consuming manual security checks.
- Vanta does continuous monitoring to keep your organization safe and compliant at all times.
- It allows you to actively share your Trust Reports with customers and prospects and build their confidence in your company and show your commitments to security.
- Vanta controls, dashboards, and alarms are highly useful for keeping users attentive rather than experiencing a workload rise as an audit nears
- Provides excellent integration with other tools such as Rippling.
- Vanta makes it very simple to gather everything in one location and identify what is required.
- Vanta does not support a few important integrations, like Checkr International, which is a employee background checking tool.
- On Linux machines, tracking requirements like encryption frequently fail.
- G2 – 4.7/5
- Capterra – 4.9/5
AuditBoard is a connected risk platform that unifies SOC 2, ISO 2700x, NIST, CMMC, PCI DSS, and other standards across organizations. It enables users to connect people, risks, and insights, to keep up with today’s expectations and enhance organizational resilience.
With AuditBoard, users can build trust and scale compliance programs.
- AuditBoard’s connected risk platform offers real-time visibility into emerging issues, risk trends, and critical indicators so you can stay ahead of today’s dynamic risk environment.
- A purpose-built solution created to automate procedures and enhance execution.
- Provides a collaborative approach to evidence gathering, control certification, risk assessments, and other tasks that will bring teams and stakeholders together.
- Improve the efficiency of your job and provide more strategic value across all your auditing processes.
- The platform doesn’t require much training for auditors and process owners to start utilizing.
- The user-customizable project management dashboards make it simple to update leaders and help users stay on track.
- The platform’s features have also helped to document work more swiftly while improving the quality of the audit work papers.
- Once a project is established, it is simple and step-by-step for control owners to give documents.
- To get started with new controls, users, etc. can be a little challenging from the administrator’s perspective.
- There is no module or official capability for third-party risk management.
- You have to track the audit plan progress separately in spreadsheets.
- G2 – 4.8/5
- Capterra – 4.7/5
Secureframe is a powerful platform that helps you to maintain security, privacy and compliance with ease. The platform offers automated compliance and security solutions for growing businesses.
Furthermore, with Secureframe, organizations can get audit-ready within a few weeks, not months.
- Utilize automatic reporting and notifications to maintain compliance.
- Provides collaboration with in-house SMEs to ensure that questions and answers in the Secureframe knowledge base are always up to date.
- Provide support from compliance experts and former auditors.
- Policy builder saves a lot of time. It distinguishes itself from many other vendors that use Google Docs.
- Secureframe provides a guided flow to execute the SOC 2, HIPAA, PCI DSS, ISO 27001, etc. standards, simplifying the initial setup process and aiding auditors.
- Bugs often occur when syncing information and a lot of information is required to be added manually.
- The tool generates numerous errors with little to no information on how to resolve them. For example, it reports a problem with X Amazon tool in a region but fails to specify which parts are affected.
- G2 – 4.6/5
- Capterra – 5/5
Sprinto GRC software accelerates SOC 2, ISO 27001, GDPR, and HIPAA compliance for cloud-hosted enterprises and makes information security accessible to all.
The platform removes the burden of getting compliant with security frameworks by providing pre-approved, auditor-grade compliance programs that can be launched with few clicks.
- Sprinto goes beyond task outlining. The platform’s adaptive automation capabilities organize, nudging, and capturing corrective actions against each task – continuously and in an audit-friendly manner.
- Sprinto allows to assign tasks in tiers and organize it according to compliance priorities.
- Sprinto’s compliance and audit experts work with you from the start to ensure you’re putting in place the right controls and practices for your business.
- Sprinto handles policy documentation, vendor risk assessment, SOA, and basically everything else required for compliance.
- The tool provides a real-time overview of which controls are passing and where gaps remain, ensuring that you are always compliant.
- The team takes a while to respond to queries sometimes.
- It is expensive even when you go for multiple compliance certifications.
- There is no assessment criteria to evaluate employees’ security training.
- G2 – 4.9/5
- Capterra – 4.7/5
Hyperproof GRC solution brings efficiency to your compliance and risk management. The platform organizes, automates, and unifies your risk management and compliance activities, allowing you to focus on what matters most.
It is an all-in-one solution for understanding compliance requirements, managing internal controls, defining ideal compliance processes, automating manual tasks, and monitoring compliance posture.
- You can use Hyperproof’s risk management module to document, assess, and manage all risks.
- The platform manages all the program requirements, internal controls, and proof in one place.
- Provides collaboration with stakeholders without switching between tools.
- The platform integrates with dozens of services ranging from cloud storage to project management, communications, cloud infrastructure, DevOps, security, and business applications.
- Seamless workflow to link controls to numerous frameworks.
- The Hyperproof tool is extremely simple to set up and use.
- Difficult to get a smoother continuous monitoring posture as Hypersync only has fewer proofs.
- G2 – 4.5/5
- Capterra – 4.7/5